Thursday, February 12, 2009

Insomnia


I haven't suffered from this kind of insomnia for YEARS. Since 1996, as a matter of fact.

Since we have all been sick and gotten our sleep/wake cycles screwed up, I cannot seem to fall asleep. This is the third night in a row where I am completely and utterly exhausted, but my brain won't shut off.

Now a couple nights ago, I was pretty sick and had a bunch of sore joints and tense muscles etc. So I justified taking a leftover painkiller (from postpartum recovery), and it worked like magic and I was out for about 7 hours.

I cannot, however, justify taking painkillers (that I am almost out of) to fall asleep. I also know that Benadryl does not work for me. And I am reluctant to take anything strong enough where I will be groggy and unresponsive should Kaylee need me.

Not sure what I'm going to do about this, should it last. I'll have to check out options at the drugstore as well as seeing about locating melatonin locally to get my sleep back on track.

The bad part about this insomnia is that after about 2-3 nights I develop sleep anxiety, and then I cannot fall asleep unless it's daytime and I dread going to bed and then I stare into the dark for hours. Obviously this will not work for us, as Ian's normal pattern is to sleep in the morning and be awake at night. That's not happening right now, but it will likely resume over the next week. So I need to be able to get up in the morning.


Ugh..... It's only 1:40 am right now. I was still awake at 8:30 am this morning. I napped until about 11:30, and have been going all day. I'm so freaking tired... *sigh*

Off to try bed again. This will be try #2 for the evening. I already went to bed at 10:30 and stayed there until 12:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I moderate comments for privacy and spam purposes, but try to publish comments within a few days. - GVJ